Monday, January 9, 2012

More firsts

This morning Eliza was a little snotty and asked me if she had a cold. I told her I thought she had allergies like me. Apparently the word allergies reminded her of a conversation almost a year ago! She said, "Oh, allergies. Are they going to have me play with those blocks again?" It took me a bit to figure out what she meant. Last spring, a UT group came and tested the kids' hearing at school. Eliza failed part of the test because she was congested. I remember her telling me the person who checked her ears said, "Oh, I think you have allergies!" They had the kids raise a block to show that they heard a sound. I can't believe she can remember such a random event from that long ago! It makes me wonder what other things she remembers!

Eliza is still writing like crazy. She has all of our names memorized. She'll also put random letters together and ask us what she's spelled. She gets very annoyed when it turns out she hasn't spelled a real word!

Ezra had a couple more firsts this weekend. We put him in the baby swing in the back yard for the first time and he loved it! He giggled a lot and Eliza liked pushing him. I also gave him his first real tub bath last night, with me in the tub with him to keep him from slipping. At first he fussed a little but then he loved splashing. I decided he needed a real bath because he was covered from head to toe in baby food. It's rare that he'll let us feed him. It helps if the food is warm; he's not interested in stuff straight out of the fridge, at home or at school. He did really love the butternut squash soup I made the other night though. It was fun to make something that all 4 of us ate. Most of the time he wants to feed himself though. He gnawed on an apple for a long time last night and he loves the teething biscuits. He'll also eat apple sauce out of a pouch that he holds himself. He's a very independent little guy (well, as much as a baby can be). If you hand him a toy, he's not interested. But if you put it down and he "discovers" it himself, he's happy.

No comments: