Monday, January 24, 2011

Drumroll please...

Eliza is getting a baby brother! Or, as she describes it (she came with us for the ultrasound), "a nurse came in and turned off the lights and said 'the baby has a penis!'". Of course we are thrilled and Eliza is coming around. She has asked me several times why it's a boy and not a girl. I tried telling her God decided we needed a boy. Then of course she wants to know why God felt that way. S got to feel the baby kick about a week before our ultrasound. Eliza hasn't felt a kick yet, but she thinks she has. I'm already hearing lots of "Mom, Beanie is kicking me!" I can't wait to see her face when she really feels a kick. And odds are she'll feel it soon, as she probably kisses my belly 50 times a day. We've had to talk about not pulling up my shirt in public. She always says, "Hey Beanie!" and then makes me do a little "Hey Eliza!" voice back. I hope she understands he doesn't really talk and won't for a while. We've tried explaining this.

The questions keep coming. She has a lot of gender questions lately. On the way to school this morning she asked why she has "yellow" hairs on her legs and I don't. Then she wanted to know why most women shave their legs. I just sort of fumbled and said, "yeah, it's pretty dumb. Gender norms are pretty dumb sometimes." She also wants to know why I'm giving away her pink dresses from infancy and not saving them for Beanie. I told her *most* boys don't like to wear pink and of course she wanted to know why and really, there's no good reason. She makes a lot of valid points. :)

On an unrelated note, she was talking in her sleep the other night, yelling, "I don't want to eat salad!" over and over. As if I've ever gotten her to eat anything other than croutons. Perhaps I will choose a different battle...

1 comment:

Janet and Marshall said...

You've got a smart cookie :) I love reading these posts!