Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day

I can't believe it's already been 4 years since the last election.  I remember very clearly holding a sleeping, almost one year old Eliza in my lap in bed as we watched the results roll in.  S had lost his job the week prior.  The clients for the house he was working on worked in the financial industry and when the industry imploded, the clients lost millions and stopped the plans for the house overnight.  Everyone in his office working on that project was immediately laid off.  Without getting too political, we definitely needed hope at the time and I was shocked and ecstatic that Obama was elected. 

We're certainly better off than we were four years ago.  And of course we now have another little 1 year old to love on.  Eliza knows all about the election and keeps asking if we know who won yet.  She also wants to know why we need to vote again and why can't we just let Obama be the President forever?  I'm trying to explain democracy and term limits to her. 

Probably what I'll remember from this Election Day is that Papa and Grammy had just moved into a new house, in the Austin area.  Eliza couldn't be more excited about having them closer and of course we are too.  Grandma and Grandpa are about to leave for a cruise in Europe.  S is crazy busy at work but that's much better than the opposite!  I've been very busy at work too because application deadlines were extended by a week thanks to the LSAT results being delayed due to Sandy.  Hardly something I can complain about, considering what the East coast is going through, but such an unprecedented thing (application deadlines are never extended in my industry!) that I'm sure I'll remember it when the next election rolls around.  And I'll also remember Election Day 2012 as the day our little Danger Ranger fell off the bed.  :(  I feel awful about it, but I'm also surprised it took this long, with all his shenanigans!  The week started off with Ezra coughing so hard he threw up in his crib.  So, in a sleepy haze, I brought him into our bed (where he later threw up directly on me, ah, Motherhood).  Then I woke up to the horrible thud of him crawling off the bed.  So, he'll spend this Election Day with a big lump on his forehead.  Poor baby. 

I have a feeling four years from now Eliza will still be just as spunky and Ezra will still be just as much of a daredevil. 

No comments: